Question
Posted by: Lee | 2003/01/17

URGENT - BLOODPOISONING / BLOEDVERGIFTIGING?

Hello Cyberdoc,

I have a very strange swelling on the top of my foot, below the toes, it looks like a big musquito bite, but from there to the small toe is what looks like a swollen artery under the skin. It is very itchy and red. I also have headaches for a week already, which just won't go away, also tiredness.

I tried hard to remember where it came from and then suddenly realized it probably happened over Christmas, when my dad and I went fishing on the beach in St Lucia, KwaZulu Natal, and I hit my foot into the backfin of a fish(SHAD) which I just caught and was buried under the sand.

As soon as I start scratching it, it gets even more swollen and prickly, it has been this way for at least 2 weeks.

I have sent digital foto's to your editor.
Please let me know, on email if I should send the pictures directly to you..
L

Lee, it sounds like there is some sort of an infection and that you need to take antibiotics. It might also be that there is still a piece of fish fin stuck under your skin. It will have to be removed otherwise the infection will take forever to clear up. If you want to send the pictures, you can send them to netdoc@mweb.co.za as I haven’t received anything up to now (Saturday 20h30). Good luck.