Question
Posted by: Cherie | 2007/02/28

URGENT - BIZZARE BLEEDING

I have stopped clomid a while back cos it was not effective. My cycle can be described as irregular and fluctuates terribly from month to month (ranging from 30-60 days). My first period for 2007 was on January 25th and tested FSH on day 3 (27th) was in the normal range (5.3) because I am considering other treatments since I have been TTCing for more than 2 years.

Hardly 21 days, on the 15th Feb, I started bleeding again (quite heavy on the first two days) similar to a period. Then on the 21st Feb for two consecutive days, noticed some spotting (not enough to fill a pad). I thought it is normal after having a period.

To my surprise, yesterday night (27th Feb) I start bleeding again and had to wear a pad to sleep. When I woke up today (28th Feb), there was quite a lot of blood. Actually now (11.30am) I just got back from office and I am still bleeding (not heavy though).

Doctor, I am worried since this bleeding is somehwat bizzare and I have not experienced this before in my entire life. I would appreciate if you could enlighten me on the matter and the reasons for this suden change in my cycle and other possibilities/factors could have triggered this.

I await impatiently for your invaluable response.

Cherie.

Dear Cherie

The possibility of an implantation bleed should seriously be considered. This would be in keeping with ovulation having occured on day 14 and implantation having occured on day 21 of a cycle. Subsequent irregular bleeding may well be implantation related and may be consistent with a pregnancy trying to root itself. in all probability the implantation is not progressing normally and the increased bleeding you are experiencing currently might be deemed as a miscarriage. However this hypothesis may be very difficult to prove except if a D&C is done and perhaps evidence is derived from the pathology report on the specimens submitted. In addition it would be important to know if there is a history of bleeding disorders in the family or whether you have any deranged clotting profiles. This may futher explain the dysfunctional bleed. If not sure, a bleeding screen can be requested and done at a pathology laboratory.