Question
Posted by: Gerda | 2004/12/01

Urgent advise - troublesome neighbour

my neighbour acts so strangely especially when she can see you sitting outside. she would start saying vulgar words that no one can toleerate. at the end im a prisoner in my own house as im afraid of sitting outside.
can somebody please tell me if it will be the right thing to report her to the police or to get a letter from court?
please help it is also affecting my kids

Actually, I think that using vulgar language that is frightening, annoying or hurtful to the recipient IS potnetally a crime, something like crimen injuria. If it were not, we could all spend far more time swearing and insulting the people we don't like much. Maybe the old lady is psychiatrically unwell, but even there, there are limits as to what would be tolerable on her part. I think it is entirely reasonable for you to discuss this with the police. If they are any good at their ob, perhaps a visit to her and a word from them, may stop her ; otherwise a restraining order could be granted by a court.
And swearing in front of your children, would be looked on badly by police and courts.

2
Posted by: Mona | 2004/12/02

If she is doing it late at night, you could have her for disturbing the peace, but during the day, you cant do anything.... I would defenately write a letter of complaint to the body corporate, who should ask her to refrain using such language. Acutally, why dont you just type out a letter telling her to stop it, and sign it BODY CORPORATE and put it in her post box

Reply to Mona
Posted by: PARIS | 2004/12/01

Hi Gerda,

Listen babe, is her only crime using vulgar language? this is not against the law. Instead of getting the police involved (dont think you would have a case here any way) but why dont you rather speak to her. Explain to her that you do have kiddies and you would appreciate that when you sat outside with your kiddies to please not use such language.

If that doesn't work then maybe try informing the body corporate of it. I think the police have a lot on their hands at the moment and wont have time for such a thing.

Communication should be your starting point here. Maybe she isn't aware that she's doing it, so just speak to her. Or maybe write her a letter and stick it under her door. Im sure she'll understand.

Cheers,

PARIS
XXX

Reply to PARIS