Question
Posted by: Buffs | 2005/12/12

Urgent advice form anyone please

hi all

As you know i have 5 little fur babys (cats) and i plan on having 6 after today.

I know 6 is alot but all of my cats are very well looked after and get the best of everything.

The cat i plan on taking home today was born wild. He/She Im not sure which sex its is, has some medical problems and another branch of my company called and asked me if i would take it, as everyone is going on leave and noone can take it with them and they dont want to leave it alone.

This kitten has a wobbly head. its head is constantly wobbeling in circles. I have seen the kitten and im not sure what the problem could be. I went to my vet without the kitten and asked him but he said he would have to see the cat before he can say, but gave me an anti biotic as the kitten has a sore leg as well.

What could cuase the wobbly head?? He/she is eating fine and is very loveable, doesnt sem to be in any pain.

Could it just be brain damaged? i say JUST loosley meaning i hope its not some horrible disease, but hopefully it is something that can be cured

I am taking it to the vet immediatly after work.

How do you think my other family members will adapt to a wild born kitten??

Everyone is calling the kitten Bobby cos its head is constantly going.

It is best to have the kitten examined to make sure it does not suffer from a contagious disease that may affect your other cats. Speculation in this case may be dangerous to your other cats. I hope you have gone to see your vet.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

4
Posted by: Lissa | 2005/12/12

Hi Buffs.,
theres a number of things that coul cause your new babys head to wobbly like that.
Heres a few of them:
1.Problems with the nervous system
2.Problems with other body systems which have an effect on how the brain or nerves work
3.Weakness - many causes of this including anaemia, lack of food or fluids etc
4.Orthopaedic problems (problems with the bones and joints)
5.Muscle problems
obviously the better of all these is the Weakness option. and a big possibility because of her back round, a sore leg or injury could also add to this.
But it really could be any of these things i would take her to the vet for further tests and such.
If your new baby is socialised and sits on your lap and is used to humans, then she should be able to fit into your family already.
I myself have just introduced a new kitten into my cat family mother daughter and spn. and its taken awhile but they have started to get used to her. just expect a lot of hissing if and growling.,
i dont think the "wild" factor is a big deal!
Cats will be territorial to any new comer.

Hope she gets well soon!!
:-)

Reply to Lissa
Posted by: Buffs | 2005/12/12

well little miss lovable is here on my lap and purring with all heart. looks like her leg might be broken or dislocated, i really hope not. shes so thin. i fed her just now and when she was done she was shaking like a leaf.

poor baby

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Lynn | 2005/12/12

Cannot help with the head, It could be somehow linked to his ears - don't ears affect balance?

But as far was wild born kittens are concerned - I homed three kittens that was born in a neighbours garden. They were about 5 weeks when I got them. Started to use the litter box 2 days later. I still have two with me. One is a 'foster child' until my mother in law takes him home (her first kitten) and the other has been adopted to my family of 4 other cats ranging from 12 years to 2 years of age. They adapted just fine..

Good luck with Bobby and introducing the little baby to the rest of the family. It takes a little patience - my older cats took almost three weeks to adjust.

Reply to Lynn
Posted by: Karen | 2005/12/12

While I have no advice to give you I would just like to say that I take my hat off to people like you. i wish I could take home every stray that I see.

Best wishes to you and Bobby. i hope that the vet can sort him out and I hope that your other cats accept him.

Reply to Karen