Posted by: Ant | 2007/03/01


I've tried everything, I eat healthy, I don't go over 1800 calories a day. I go to gym 3 -4 times a week - 50 min. cardio and 10 min toning. I haven't lost any weight, I've only gained 2.4kg.
Do you suggest I see a Physician to do some tests, maybe my thyroid or something?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Ant
I can't judge how overweight you because you don't list your height in metres so that I can work out your BMI, but I accept that you are. There are many factors that could play a role causing you not to lose weight despite the fact that you are eating a low-energy diet and are doing intensive exercise. You could be gaining muscle which weighs more than fat tissue. I would suggest that you ask your gp to send you for hormone tests (thyroid, insulin and female hormones if you are a woman). It is possible that you are suffering from hypothyroidism, or insulin resistance and/or polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). If you suffer from the latter 2 conditions, it is essential that you consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance, and other conditions such as overweight and PCOS, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based in foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Keep up the exercise as this should promote weight loss and also helps with insulin resistance, but stick to aerobic type or cardio exercise like swimming, cycling, jogging, skipping as this burns more energy.
Hang in there

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.