Posted by: jitoo | 2008/09/08

urethral stricture


I am a male of 40yrs and have had a urethral sticture for a while now due to MVA 23 yrs back. I have been for 7 cystoscopies already. The last one was in February 2008, I had a Memokath stent put in. I have been for checkups . I have had infection since and have been on Macrodentin 100mg since. I went for a checkup about a week back and was told I had blood in my urine and have been taking Ciprobay 500mg (3 tabs) and have been using bactroban cream to inject into my uretha. I am still having much pain in my lower back, urine flow is very slow , I am having a burning sensation when passing urine and have to force the urine out to empty my bladder.I am getting up twice in the nite to pass urine. What are my options ? What can I do?I am at my wits end as I am always in pain.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Jitoo
Have you had a second opinion from another urologist about your options of treatment? What does your doctor think will be the long term picture - will this be a constant problem that needs repeated cystoscopies and dilatations? It sounds to me as if you have a chronic bladder infection / urethritis too, this could be due to the repeated procedures, the stricture itself or the stent. Strictures can also cause chronic prostatitis. Discuss with your doctor whether intermittend sterile catherization ( where you physically empty the bladder with a thin stainless steel catheter every 4-6 hours) may be an option for you when you have pain and difficulty to empty your bladder? Sometimes the area that causes the stricture can be cut out with open surgery and re-attached or a graft can be used to remodel the urethra. Ask your Doctor if he knows of someone in your area that are specialized in this. Dilatation only helps in 55% of patients whereas open surgery is successful in >80%.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/03/03

Hi I've had genital warts burned in theatre two weeks ago on the tip and inside of the urethra of the penis It seems like my area towards the top of my penis is a bit smaller and sticking together I need to pull it apart gently to urinate at times. It is red and a bit inflamed on the inside Although I have no problem passing urine and there doesn't seem to be any blood or pain. Could this just be part of the healing process due to scarring on the inside?

Reply to Anonymous

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.