Posted by: Anti Meds | 2008/07/04

Please can you help me. I have been taking low doses of Urbanol for about 20 years. (It started out as a drug to help me get through PMS). Any how to cut a long story short. For about 4 years now I have been taking 1 10mg tab. one day and 1 5mg the next day and so on. I would now like to stop taking this meds altogether, but I am not sure how best to go about weaning myself off it slowly. I really don't want to ask my GP as she will then want me to take some other meds. I want to be off all meds. Urbanol has worked well for me in the past, but I feel it is not helping me effectively anymore. This past month I have been taking 1 10mg everyday. So my question is how do I wean myself off this meds safely?

Thank you and have a good day.

Its very unwise for any GP without VERY careful thought to maintain anyone on any of the benzos, Urbanol included, for 20 years. The best thing would be to see a psychiatrist for a re-assessment of the situaton and what your needs are. Then a plan could be made for you to reduce the Urbanol ( eg 10 daily, to 10 and 5 alternate days as you were doing, then 5 daily, then 5 alternate days, and so on ) and to consider better treatments such as possibly some of the antidepressants effective in managing anxiety, or CBT counselling which can be very effective ( and free of side-effects or dependency !)