Question
Posted by: Linda | 2006/04/07

upset tummy from butterfish

Hello! Most embarassed, but it's happened twice now, the day after eating butterfish...so I'm positive it's the fish that has caused it, as had it with a simple green salad. A very orange, oily, loose and foul smelling stool....happened to both boyfriend and I...almost like pooing pure oil??? We eat very plain and simple food, so maybe high fat content of fish does not agree with our tummies? We are both very active cyclists, and don't touch junk food takeaways if that helps?
Looking forward to your reply.
Linda

Dear Linda
Your reaction to butterfish is totally normal and nothing to worry about. Most people who eat this fish suffer from the same symptoms, which is why it has such a 'risky reputation'. Avoid eating butterfish in future, because it has such a high fat content that the fat passes straight out of the body which can be most embarrassing.