Question
Posted by: LAUREN | 2004/02/25

UPSET - PLEASE ADVISE ON WHAT NEXT?

well here i was yesterday saying how much i thought i might be pregnant as ive had spots of blood etc, had a faint positive test last month. Well i have come on my period yesterday i started and today im quite heavey. As i had spots of blood at the weekend do i count sat as my first day when only i wiped myself i noticed blood on tissue or yesterday, i just asking ask i wat to try to have a baby. So if i count yesterday i should ovulate around the 3.3.04 shouldnt i because last month i was 21 days and if i count as my first day yesterday then that is 21 days aswell? There is something you can take to help become pregnant isnt there something like Folic Acid? Is that right and if so when can i start taking them.

Please help me everyone.

Start counting with the first day of heavy bleeding. IF you have a 21 day cycle, you should ovulate on March 1st, 14 days before your next period.
Folic acid does not help with falling pregnant, but helps to prevent spina bifida if you do fall pregnant. You can buy it at any pharmacy and start taking it right away.

4
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/02/25

I'm terribly sorry to mention this but if you had a positive urine test, even if it was faint it likely means you did conceive but if you are now bleeding heavily then possibly you are having a very early miscarriage. I only mention it because if that is the case you need to see a gynae asap for a scan and if there are any products of conception left behind you will need to have a D&C. I had a miscarriage last year, also only had a very faint positive and started bleeding the next day but still had to have a D&C, my gynae said it was standard procedure under 12 weeks as they don't want you risking infection. I really hope its not the case but but rather make sure than risk an infection that could affect your fertility. On the positive side,early miscarriages are very common and do not affect your chances on getting pregnant again, I had my period on time the following month and fell pregnant the first month we started trying again.

Reply to Wendy
Posted by: PFP | 2004/02/25

I realise you're unhappy about not being pregnant. I had a few dissappointing test results before finding out that I was pregnant.

Try to enjoy the journey though. If you get too upset and worried about falling pregnant - that is the thing that actually prevents it from happening.

Folic Acid wont help you fall pregnant - as Lindy pointed out that helps with the spinal development of the baby. If you are looking for something to help you fall pregnant - I would suggest you first find out if there is anything wrong. You don't want to take something if there is no reason to take it.

I wish you good luck and hope that you will make the journey to parenthood and exciting one. It will happen ... just don't worry about it too much.

Reply to PFP
Posted by: Lindy | 2004/02/25

Hi Lauren

Folic acid will not help you to fall pregnant but if you are trying to fall pregnant it is advisable to take it from before you fall pregnant because it helps prevent spina bifida. Spina bifida is where the spine of the baby does not closeand happens during the early development, it can be the whole spine and the back of the head or only a part of the spine.

Reply to Lindy
Posted by: Norma | 2004/02/25

I'm so sorry, I know the wait can be really bad.
I don't know how long you have been trying, have you been to the doc for a check-up, just to make sure everything is fine?

I think you should start counting from yesterday, and make sure to have sex 2days before you ovulate.

I was on the pill and it took me 4 months with a 45day cycle to fall pregnant.
Maybe try one of these ovulation tests.
I really hope it will happen soon for you, good luck.

Reply to Norma