Posted by: SAM | 2009/08/28

Upper tummy bulge

I have this bulge just above my navel and it really looks unappealing. I eat healthy food, lots of fibre, am on Rivotril, constantly hungry. I tried tummy exercises. No improvement.
Should an overall healthy diet plan help me get rid of this.
I have 2 weetbixes with extra bran and 2 % milk for breakfast.
Lunch is half a can of Koo samp and beans (meat flavoured) with 2 to 3 diced tomatoes which I heat up. Maybe an apple or 2 for snacks. Supper consists of mushrooms, onions, green peppers, garlic, broccoli and chicken. Rarely eat starches, not a big fan. I have 2 small glasses of wine in the evening. Don' t know why I am not loosing the tummy fat and overall roundness. I am 1,62 m and weigh 66 kgs. Please help me with info.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Sam
Your present BMI = 25,2 which is marginally higher than the upper cut-off for normal weight (normal range 18-25). If you are a woman then your ideal weight would be about 58 kg, thus a loss of 8 kg. The diet you describe does not sound excessive or high in fat, so it is possible that other factors are hampering your weightloss. It may be a good idea to have a medical checkup and ask your dr to test for hormone imbalances (thyroid, insulin and/or female hormones) to see if you have a thyroid deficiency, or insulin resistance, or if you are entering the menopause(you don't mention your age?), and psychological factors (of these depression usually has the most dramatic effect on weight gain or loss depending on the patient). Discuss this possibility with the dr too. I don't know what kind of exercises you have been doing, but to lose weight cardio exercises are more useful than static exercise. Try to do some form of cardio exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day to help you lose those 8 kg.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.