Question
Posted by: JACQUES | 2009/10/02

UPPER BODY WORKOUT

I NEED TO GET MY UPPER BODY IN SHAPE BEFORE END NOV09. I AM TRAINING AT HOME. HOW MUCH TIME PER WEEK MUST I EXCERCISE MY UPPER BODY? (CAN I EXCERCISE TWICE A DAY OR IS THAT TO MUCH?)

Hi Jacques

When you say "in shape", do you mean toned, or bulked up? The difference is important.

If your aim were to build muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
· Perform 6-10 reps at a high intensity - use a weight that you could lift 12 to 15 times
· Perform 3-4 sets
· Rest 30-60 seconds between reps
· Train each muscle group at least once or twice a week
· Allow 48 hours rest between each muscle’s workout

If your aim were to tone muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
· Perform 10-15 reps but at a much lower intensity - use a weight that would allow you to lift the weight at least 25 times.
· Perform 4-6 sets
· Rest 30-60 seconds between reps

I would say that twice a day is too much, you'll get injured. It might be that you can work up to that level, but if you go straight in, and lift quite heavy, then twice a day affects the quality of training, because you'll be too tired to lift well anyway. So not only is it less effective, it's also likely to injure you.