Question
Posted by: fit | 2008/05/25

Upper body

Hi, I have a friend who would like to get an upper body workout, however only has the use of one arm.
Can you please suggest some exercises?
Thanks!

Hi Fit

I'd say he needs to go about it just as he would for two-arm training, with the exception that any weight work he does would be using dumb-bells rather than barbells. And then also to avoid the pulley type machines that often require both arms together. It's often suggested to people that they should train one arm at a time, so it's certainly no major barrier to training. I'd say he needs to get into a gym, check out what is available, consult with the trainers if he wishes, or else just start at the circuit and he'll soon see how the exercises can be adapted for single arm use. It's not a case of a special programme, just adapting the current exercises for his particular requirements.