Posted by: fit | 2008/05/25

Upper body

Hi, I have a friend who would like to get an upper body workout, however only has the use of one arm.
Can you please suggest some exercises?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

Hi Fit

I'd say he needs to go about it just as he would for two-arm training, with the exception that any weight work he does would be using dumb-bells rather than barbells. And then also to avoid the pulley type machines that often require both arms together. It's often suggested to people that they should train one arm at a time, so it's certainly no major barrier to training. I'd say he needs to get into a gym, check out what is available, consult with the trainers if he wishes, or else just start at the circuit and he'll soon see how the exercises can be adapted for single arm use. It's not a case of a special programme, just adapting the current exercises for his particular requirements.

Good luck

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.