Question
Posted by: mani | 2007/07/20

Uphill Running

Hello Doc,
I run approx 4-5times a week, about 5km's a day.
I do a walk/run combo.
Problem is I like running downhills and walking Uphills.
I am quite a fast runner.
If I do run a hill, I try to run a bit fast and by the time I reach the top,
I am burnt up.
What approach should I follow i.r.o uphills and nutrition??

Hello Mani

Well, the obvious thing is to run a little slower up the hill, so that you are not totally exhausted at the top. That way you might be able to reduce the gap between your uphill and downhill running sections. Once of the best pieces of advice I got was when you run up a hill, your goal should be to run “over the hill”. That means you don’t end at the top, you have to go OVER it, continue running beyond the top. If you do that, then you pace yourself so that you finish the hill much more strongly, and then carry some of that effort down the first part of the hill. Maybe if you do this, you’ll find that you slow down, and then feel more comfortable on the top. The other thing you can do, of course, is to do special training sessions to improve your ability to run uphill. You could find a hill with a medium slope (not too steep, but not gradual either) and about 200 to 300m long, then run up at a steady pace. It will take about 1 min to 90 seconds to get to the top. If it’s longer than this, shorten it.

Once you get to the top, turn around and jog slowly down and repeat it 5 times. That would be a good way to tune your body and your mind to run uphill.