Question
Posted by: J | 2004/11/03

Update:12254-Dealing with an obnoxious counselor

Well, we went for my son’s first session today.I was all optimistic-arrived early and promised myself I would be nice.Then the counselor tells me that she does not recall setting up an appointment for this morning, I must be mistaken. Well, that was it …I stormed out without a word and in tears. I just could not believe it was happening all over again !
She pursued, trying to explain that she is under tremendous work pressure and her mother-in-law is terminally ill…she is not normally like this and she should have taken her colleagues advise to go on leave. I refused to return, unless we were assigned another counselor or whatever.
Unfortunately, she had to do the initial assessment and then make a referral to psychologist/psychiatrist. After much deliberation, I finally gave in and we spent 4 hours with her, in which we gave our history. All was forgotten, I suppose.
Anyway, she suspects that he is suffering from depression and some anxiety disorder, due to his moods coupled with head- and stomach aches. Of course, all of this will be confirmed at our meeting next week with the psychiatrist. She feels that it is important that he goes on to meds a.s.a.p.
I am relieved.

Congratulations on persisting, and let's hope the psychiatrist will be better able to help. Sad that the initial counsellor was so inept --- but a useful reminder that counsellors are human, too, and often through being conscientious in the wrong way, burden themselves excessively, and through burnout, become much less helpful to the people they are, truly, trying to help.