Question
Posted by: GSD Lover | 2007/07/09

Update - Sick GSD puppy (Megaosophagus)

Hi guys,

Just wanted to tell you guys that I've started feeding my puppy smaller meals and don't let him run around for 15 min after food. I've elevated his water and food as well. He's only still drooling. But he is happy and excited!!

I took him to school yesterday. What a proud mama I am. He did so well. He jumped right in, sitting, focusing on me (looking up), coming to me and then we did some basic training on the man work - he grabbed and held fast, ears back and not scared. I am SO proud.

What was the cause of the megaoesophagus?

5
Posted by: Carol | 2007/07/10

The best way to ensure an excellent watch dog is to have it in the house and part of the family, of course they do need training to some degree .

Reply to Carol
Posted by: WR | 2007/07/09

BTW Chill - you like 'em hornets! tee hee! If you didn't touch on these subjects, who will?
Tx anyway!
;-)

Reply to WR
Posted by: WR | 2007/07/09

GSD Lover - word of advise - if you are already doing manwork with the dog and he is teething - recipe for disaster no1.
You (and you rTrainer) could seriously hurt the pup (unknowingly) and he can develop into a fear-biter - they are even worse than properly trained attack work.
I am the 'criminal' at our club - and I have a little bit of experience - but don't just take my word for it - do some research.
I am a firm believer is a good obedience dog before one even considers doing manwork - like Chill and Joni said - if you dunno what you are doing bad things can happen very quickly - and it is not the dogs fault, but he will get the blame!

It is your choice in the end - but manwork is not NEEDED to have a good guard dog - if you train the wrong type of dog for the wrong type of work you could be creating a problem...!

Just my thoughts!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Joni | 2007/07/09

Hi GSD Lover

Thanks, got your email and have responded with all the information, I do hope it helps!

I must say I definitely agree with Chill here, that Man Work is a recipe for disaster in the wrong hands, rather try something more positive and mutually beneficial for both of you, start with Puppy classes then the various Obedience levels, then maybe Canine Good Citizen and onto Working Trials (I know that WR is involved in this and I'm sure he can chime in with some good advice). There really is no reason unless you're in the SAPS or Security for your dog to learn how to be a lethal weapon. GSD are by nature good guard dogs and very loyal, so you won't need training for that. Man Work in my humble opinion just awakens bad instincts and can lead to temperament issues later.

I hope our info has helped.

Reply to Joni
Posted by: Chill | 2007/07/09

Great to hear your pup's doing well.

Couple of things: floppy ears and teething have nothing to do with each other...

Second: teething really isn't a 'shame' condition - they just use it as an excuse to chew - this is where you provide legal chewy things for him - hooves, big marrowbones, kongs, etc.

Lastly - and no doubt I'm stirring up a hornet's nest here - why are you training your dog on 'man work'?? Normal people - ie, those not in the police/security industry, should NOT be training their dogs like this - it's quite often a recipe for disaster. Most especially if you're not already a bit of an expert on dogs, their training, their behaviour, etc. It's a bit like leaving a loaded gun lying around, with the difference that if your dog 'goes off' by mistake, he could end up paying with his life. I've done dogtraining for years, at accredited training organisations - and everyone agreed - the 'man work' is a no-no unless you REALLY know what you are doing, and are prepared to see the thing through ALL its consequences.

Reply to Chill