Question
Posted by: SKW | 2006/11/13

Update on legal age

Slipping in through the back door, with the changes introduced by the Sexual Offences Act, and nearly unnoticed due to the attention given to the Civil Union Bill, the age of consent for gay people has at last been lowered to 16 as is the case for heterosexuals, removing the last discriminatory legislation bar fully equal marriage. If this was not done, the untenable situation would have arisen that a gay person would be allowed to marry if he or she is already 18 but not yet 19, but could then be prosecuted together with his or her spouse, under the Sexual Offences Act.

Regarding marriage, Home Affairs has now acknowledged that the Civil Union Bill is an interim measure (see Sunday Times) and the matter will be revisited next year. The fact remains however, that as long as the Marriage Act remains the exclusive domain of heterosexual couples, discrimination still exists.

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi again SKW and thanks for posting. I share your sentiments.

3
Posted by: manne | 2006/11/14

I'm the guy who started off this debate i.t.o LEGAL AGE, was quite surprised to see the strong response, thus proving that it is a taboo subject.
It would be funny to get stoned by an angry village mob for frenching a 17 y old, only to have it legalised (less one year to boot) the day after. On the one hand its great to see how protective people are of under 18's, which is fantastic! On the other, I think there is a need for equality, I personally think the legal age of consent for marraige and sex should be 18, for both sexes, and orientations, even though some of these under 18's are more mature than many ppl in their late 20's. This is just one for of discrimination though, and we have a long long way to go, public affection for example, it hurts like hell to not be able to kiss someone you love at the airport or at the office. The only way forward is for more gays to be out, open, unashamed, and just normal, not overly proud. Its not about gaining acceptance anymore, its about just living in a world which belongs to us, as much as to anyone else, without concern for what might piss the straights off! Always just ask yourselves this: Are you still having fun?

Reply to manne
Posted by: Nikki | 2006/11/13

Con Court WILL NOT ACCEPT IT, and neither should we

xxxxx
Nikki

Reply to Nikki
Posted by: Confused | 2006/11/13

It's about time they started doing something other than talk about this marriage thing. It's getting very tense now. I wonder what the Con court will say?
;-)

Reply to Confused