Question
Posted by: Concerned daughter | 2008/07/11

Update my mom

Hi CS, it has been a very hard and emotional week for my brother and myself, meetings with doctors and psychiatrists etc, my mom as you know was booked into the clinic and had an MRI, the MRI results came back, she does not have a brain tumour or infarct disease but what they found was atrophy of the front temporal lobe, this we were told was due to her having seizures when her salt levels dropped a month ago, the disorder she has been left with is very similar to Bi-Polar and luckily the doctor can treat it, she is on 100g seroquel twice a day as well as epillim. She is sleeping better and her aggression is under control, she is still a little bit paranoid and impulsive, we let her do what she wanted to in the last week and she spent nearly 50 grand in that time, the doctor has suggested we have power of attorney over her assets as she could be taken advantage of without realising it, this, a financial director, such an intelligent woman running a huge company, it's still hard to come to terms with it all. They are flying back to Zim tomorrow and the psychiatrist is confident she will be able to manage on her own with limited supervision, but going back to work is out of the question. The psychiatrist is writing a report that will be given to her specialist in Zim so she can be monitored on a regular basis.

So that’s the final update, again thank you for your valued advice and this I must say comes from my brother too.

OK, the more clear information we have, the more it becomes possible to have a clearer idea of what may happen in the future and how to handle it. The salt depletion episode still sounds a bit odd to me. And I wonder whether the frontal lobe atrophy was the cause of the seizures, rather than being caused by them, as this sounds more likely to me.
The Seroquel / Epilim combination could help, in any case, as perhaps could Risperdal, in controlling her psychotic thinking and odd behaviours, including aggression. She does indeed sound highly vulnerable to exploitation, or simply to wasting her resources for psychotic and not realistic reasons, and it makes sense for you and your brother to be appointed as her guardian, and so on. PResumably if she is to return and live in Zimbabwe, this would need to be dont in a Zim court and according to the local laws there. A letter from the specialists here recommending that you be appointed with power of attorney, would be useful. And the letter to the specialist in Zimbabwe is of course very important, too. I understand why its considered risky for her to return to work --- but wil she accept that ? COuld her role be transformed into that of a consultant, so she doesn't feel altogetehr excluded, yet her advice need not be taken when it is illogical.
I do hope everything works out for all of you