Question
Posted by: Savannah | 2007/04/02

UPDATE : BYPASS OPERATION - WEEK 11

Hi Doc,

Just to let you know that I have lost a total of 19kg! Can't believe it. I feel well and other than the piles, really can't be better. No pins and needles, hardly any bloating and I have started eating some of the foods that I had to cut out. Cabbage not going down too well and I can't eat beetroot (my favorite) any more.
The doctor told me this could happen, but it is a small price to pay to get one's health back. Eggs, also not a great idea.

Doc I drink about 5 liters of water a day. 3 liter at work, 1 at night before bed and another liter during the night. Sometimes a bit more and I will have 2 liter before bed.

My hubby feels that it is too much and says that it contributes to my frequent running to the loo. Do you think I should cut down on the water. The problem is I am always thirsty. I am really hooked on water, but also drink coke, fruit juice and coffee.

I know I can't drink a lot of juice (doc said that it could lead to kidney stones), but I have to drink something for the thirst. During the night I wake up (to go to the loo) and usually drink about 1 liter of water during the night.

Any advice on this?

Have a wonderful week.
*Hugs*

Dear Savannah
Lots of hugs for you too for losing those 19 kg - you are a bright, shining ***star***. I do think that you are drinking rather a lot of water - 5 litres is too much - I agree with hubby - and what I am afraid of is that this will once again cause an electrolyte imbalance. If you drink so much water then you will urinate more and every time you urinate you lose sodium, potassium magnesium and even calcium, which as you last experienced led to all those unpleasant symptoms with the electrolyte imbalance. Try and gradually reduce your water intake to about 3 litres per day. It may help to take small sips rather than to down a whole glass in one go, until you are used to the lower water intake. I don't want you to get the shakes and numbness again.
Keep up the good work
Lots of hugs

3
Posted by: Savannah | 2007/04/02

Hi Rani. Thanks for your advice and kind words. It doesn't really matter if I drink coke or tab. Not on any diet at all. I eat 6 meals per day, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, snack. The food and liquid leaves my body very quickly and because of the oepration my body can only digest about 10% of nutrients, sugars etc. Thanks for the thought though!

Tala, your BMI must be 40 and over. You can contact the Wilgers hospital and they will direct you to the Prof that does the op. Costly though - between R60 000 and R120 000 (depends on weight). Medical aids do not pay and you must pay the whole amount before they will operate.

You have to be evaluated and screened by two doctors and they only operate on morbidly obsese people.

It is not a on demand type of oepration, very dangerous and changes your life completly! I can't even eat out for the next year because the food and liquid leaves your body about 15 minutes after you have consumed anything. I sometimes have to excuse myself from the table to run to the loo.

Why don't you try a healthy eating plan like Weigh less or Herbalife or WW? A low GI diet can also work. I know how difficult this can be, believe me, I weighed 135.6kg before the op and down to 116kg now. My BMI from 47 to 40 at the moment and I am still very, very overweight. You have all my sympathy, but girl this operation is NOT a walk in the park. A lot of pain and sacrifice!
*Hugs*

Reply to Savannah
Posted by: Rani | 2007/04/02

Why do you drink Coke if you want to loose weight, isnt Tab a better option. Well done with your weight loss thus far

Reply to Rani
Posted by: Tala | 2007/04/02

Savannah, I am considering the same opp but dont know where to start. My BMI is greater that 30. I have tried everything but only keep gaining. Where do I start?

Reply to Tala