Question
Posted by: Savannah | 2007/03/05

UPDATE : Bypass operation

Hi there all. Sorry I have been very busy!!
Three weeks ago I picked up 3kg in one week. I was shocked and thought that the operation was not successful. I contacted the doctor and he said that the weight gain was water retention because it is medically impossible for me to ever pick up weight again. He explained that because of the imbalance, it will take a few weeks to get my body to function properly again. Magnesium is needed to sustain healthy metabolism and he said it was also due to the heat.

WONDERFUL news. After three weeks of NO weight loss, I lost 4kg last week with more cm’s. I do feel better after the electrolyte imbalance with some minor pins and needles every now and then.

After the op I could never distinguish between hunger pains and stomach pain. I thought that my stomach was playing up until someone else told me that the pain I get is in fact hunger pains! So when I now get the pain and I eat, I feel better. I think for the first time in 37 years I am now only beginning to listen to and understand my body!!

I went to a show on Saturday, and regret doing so. I did not realize that I am definitely not up to the walking in the heat, and eating at a unfamiliar place! I started dehydrating and after I had something small to eat, had to get to a bathroom within 15 minutes. Remember it takes about 15 minutes for your food to digest!! No privacy with about 6 000 strangers to share a toilet with. I got sick and went to the Netcare tent. I was burning up and my legs and arms were cramping and had little feeling. Hubby and I had to leave and sped home. I had about 2 liters of Powerade, a cool shower and slept the rest of the afternoon. Yesterday I felt my old self again. Hubby and I had a long chat and we decided that we will not be going out much for at least the next year. Even a braai at someone else’s home is difficult to manage at this stage. I guess all the braai’s will be at our house!

I have also developed bleeding piles (in and outside) because of the constant diarrhoea, which is really not nice to have. Some days are definitely better than others.
I am very pleased with my changing physique, although not everybody notices the weight loss. I suppose if you weighed 135kg, not everybody notices 15kg! The good news is that I have completely lost my double chin, but am stuck with a protruding thyroid which I will sort out with the doc next week. I will also have a full liver and kidney test later this week.

Keep well and have a wonderful weight loss week!!
*Hugs*

Dear Savannah
Thanks so much for your update. As always it is fascinating to read of your post-operative experiences. I am thrilled that you have lost 15 kg - that's wonderful. Do follow all the instructions your dr gave you so that you don't have these set-backs.
Hang in there

4
Posted by: Savannah | 2007/03/05

Spelling, blonde, spelling blonde!! Sowwy

Reply to Savannah
Posted by: Savannah | 2007/03/05

Sorry Due, my BM! was 47! Morbid obese! Some people who go for the op has a BMI of 60 and over and weight more than 200kg!

Reply to Savannah
Posted by: Savannah | 2007/03/05

Hi Sue. Thanks for your well wishes. Sue, you are screened before the operation by various doctors and they will ONLY operate if your BMI is over 40. You can look at about R50 000 to R125 000 cash for the op and medical aids do not cover the op or any expenses and tests after the op. Price depends on procedure and more. Tests are also very expensive (R1 000) for 2 blood tests and you undergo regular testing. Post op costs are high too. I know you are desperate, but Sue you are still young and with the correct help and assistance from all the lovely people in the same situation on this forum and Weight loss forum I am sure you can find a solution. This operation is very dangerous and a major operation to say the least. Your life changes for ever and it is also not recommended that you ever fall pregnant after the op. Read more about my previous posts on this forum. Believe me, it is not a easy way out and not an operation on demand kind of thing. Why not visit the other weight loss forum where others can share their success with you? Diet Doc is definitely one of the most supportive doctors on the forum and can point you in the direction of a dietician. Come and visit us on the Weight loss forum. We would all love to hear from you.
*Hugs*

Reply to Savannah
Posted by: Sue | 2007/03/05

Hi Savannah Congrats on the big step that you have taken and on the weight loss. I am 30 years old , weigh 85kgs & have a height of 1.53m. My bmi is 36. I am thus obese. Please advise on the cost of such an operation. I am desperate

Reply to Sue