Question
Posted by: *** | 2007/04/02

Up & down

Hi. I sometimes get terribly depressed and have noticed that it's in cycles (normally associated with my cycle). I get so bad that I think everyone despises me and so I spend a week closed up at home, just wanting to die. I feel hopeless and that nothing is worthwhile. I struggle even to get to the shop. I have previously been on anti-depressants (for years) and have seen psychologists. I don't believe this works. I don't want to carry on living like this as it's debilitating. When I'm not in this depressed state I have good friends (it's impossible for me to reach out to them when I'm down - if they phone I tell them I just can't talk) and a fairly active social life, and a successful business. I got divorced 4 years ago which devastated me. I am lonely which is why I try and keep active socially. But it always falls apart at some stage. Why? Am I a useless case?

Some women do indeed ind that there prevailing mood varies markedly with the phass of their menstrual cycle. A good local psychiatrist ought to be able to assess this situation better and consider the best way of managing this, which would probably include CBT counselling, and possibly medication. I would think the counselling is probably the area that has been neglected and which could make all the difference

1
Posted by: Maria | 2007/04/02

Nobody is a hopeless case! Are you on the pill? I think you should speak to your gp, as the cyclic nature of your depression sounds as if it is due to large hormonal fluctuations.

Reply to Maria