Question
Posted by: Peter 2 | 2019/04/22

Unusual feeling when alone

I am an 83 year old male . Ihave been living on my own for two months . I find that all the time it feels if there is another person present It is not threatening or there is no fear in me .It is just as if there is a person in the back ground For example if I get out of bed at night I feel I must be quite about it

- 2019/04/23

Hello Peter,
When you say that you are 83 and have been living along for just 2 months,  this implies that for a long time, perhaps decades, before this, you have NOT been living along.  If so, it is natural that you have grown thoroughly us to having someone else with you, so your "default/ factory setting" is to expect someone to be with you.
You don't mention how it came about that your situation hanged in this way.  If, for instance, you were married for many years, you are likely to be suffering from normal bereavement which lasts around a year, as one's mind adjusts to the change, quite apart from the grief. Many bereaved people report that for months afterwards, they experience this sense of "presence", and may even, for instance, walk into the kitchen and briefly see their wife sitting at the table, until they remember that she is dead, and that vision fades. A wife might hear the scrunch of tires on the driveway typical of their husband arriving home, before remembering the actual situation, that he is not going to return in that way.
Such experiences are not signs of mental instability or illness,  but of normal reactions of a normal person to a significant change in their circumstances. 
These are aspects of one's min re-adjusting to the change, and to a degree, noticing habits one has formed over the years.  If for years when you got up at night, perhaps to go to the loo, you would naturally be quiet out of consideration for your partner / companion, and would continue to do so even if it's no longer necessary.