Question
Posted by: feb | 2004/02/18

untreatd sinusitus

i have suffered from sinusitus for 30 years or so. Medication has never been very helpful, whether decongestant, antihistamine or antiboiotic- all have very temporary effects. This year I am trying to go without any of these . So far it hasn't been worse than usual. The only difference is that the pain is always slightly there and I have been aware of swollen glands from time to time, whereas the meds sometimes took the pain away completely. Of course I can get rid of it with painkillers. Basically I'm trying to see if my body will get into gear and deal with this congestion naturally. How long can I wait before I cause any damage?

Feb, you should be OK as long as it doesn’t become infected. If fever becomes part of the symptoms you should see your doctor. It also might be due to a polyp and then nothing but surgery will clear up the problem. The best would be to see an ENT surgeon if it doesn’t clear up within 6 weeks. Good luck.