Question
Posted by: dorah | 2004/10/14

Unterine fibroids and infertility

I would like to know if having a uterine fibroid can make you infertile as my gynae found a small one on doing a scan. He was quite vague about whether it could or could not cause infertility. Is there any medication or treatment to get rid of a small fibroid? I have done some reading up on fibroids but it only said they may or may not cause infertility depending on the characteristics etc. My husband and I are now trying to start a family, we have only been trying properly for 2 months. For these two months we have been using an ovulation kit, which definitely showed which is the best time to conceive. We will try again this month when I ovulate but if nothing happens I think it would be better to see the gynae just in case. Please advise further. I am 31 years old. My periods are always regular and I don’t experience any period pain worth mentioning.

It dpends on the site of the fibroid in relation to the lining of the womb. The ones touching the lining could be a problem. Most are however not a problem especially if they are small.