Question
Posted by: HIV Positive | 2005/12/06

Unsure of infection

I have recently been diagnosed with HIV after what seemed like a flu. The tests seem to show that I have been recently infected (within the last 6 months). I have however not had actual intercourse for over 4 years, nor do I indulge in drug use. The only exposure I have had to needles over the past four years has been two previous hiv tests (both negative). Nor have I had any injury that could have exposed me to virus. Is this at all possible? What other possibilites can there be for exposure?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi!

This sounds like a huge shock!

1. Although the infection appears recent, please do consider speaking to your sexual partner(s) you have had so far to determine whether they may have been the cause and to encourrage them to test. Of course, this may be very difficult for you, so only do it if and when you feel ready.

2. Were confirmatory tests carried out to verify your HIV+ results?

3. Sexual practices such as unprotected oral sex are are also risky, albeit less so than "actual" intercourse.

Good luck and keep strong!
Laurent