Question
Posted by: Nubbin | 2004/10/19

Unsightly toes

My mom and her sister were born with "disfigured" toes. The fourth toe of both feet is considerably smaller than the fifth toe. Of all my cousins and siblings I am the only one that 'inherited' this embarrassment although my toes only became like that at age 10 and not from birth. What are the chances that my daughter aged one will inherit this? I can't bear her being the subject of other children's cruel teasing like I was!!! And if she is destined to have the same fate, is there anything that can be done??

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Nubbin

I was sorry to learn about the problem in your family. Shortening of the fourth toes sometimes runs in families and there is a 50% chance that any of your offspring will inherited the abnormality. Despite the fact that your own toe shortening only became apparent at the age of 10 years, it is usually obvious at birth, so it seems very probable that all is well with your little daughter.

Regards, Maritha