Question
Posted by: Spooky | 2007/12/18

Unremitting jabber

Dear Cybershrink,
I am acquainted with some people in my circle of friends who have a phenomenal ability to talk continuously for most of the day (and night). Topics of discussion can fluctuate broadly and level of astuteness varies from run of the mill, to above average. It can be particularly wearisome having to stick one’s oar in as the only means of getting a word in sideways. The ceiling of my fortitude was eventually breached yesterday, resulting in me involuntarily telling someone to shut the *&%# up for a change.
It actually came off.
But you could hear a pin drop and that wasn’t really what I had had in mind.
Today, I feel a little guilty since the threshold of my tolerance was perhaps compromised by the Scotch. So I confess this sin to my CyberShrink. (At least I have a conscience). Now, before making myself guilty of rambling on too much also, my question is:- “Do people who talk incessantly possibly suffer from some or other chronic psychiatric unrest?”
Thanx.
Spooky.

Don't feel guilty --- these people are always being thoughtless and tactless, and often selfish and self-centred. Its usually not related to any specific psychiatric disorder, except perhaps to the manic phase of Bipolar Disorder, and then it would be episodic, and not a constant feature.
Babbling brook's are nice to sit beside and losten to, but not babbling people. Of course they could be helped by counselling a la CBT, to learn to LISTEN and pay attention to others, and not to assume that their every thought must automatically be fascinating to everyone else.

4
Posted by: a daughter | 2007/12/18

My mom is one of those jabbering people. She will repeat the same things over and over and over again, bless her soul. She loves the sound of her own voice....she will even give me minute by minute accounts of what she did and what she intends to do. I call her to tell her some important news and I can't get a word in edgeways, eventually I tell her I have to go, goodbye. I wish I had a mom who could 'listen' really listen to what is being said without interrupting. SHe often gets so involved in her jabbering she goes off topic and can't remember what she said or that she never completed telling her story.....you have to continuously ask, so what happened with x y z.....then she gets back on track, she lacks focus. I wonder whether such jabbering people actually suffer from attention deficity disorder.

But then again, as the saying goes, "empty barrels make the most noise".

Reply to a daughter
Posted by: Britty | 2007/12/18

I can just imagine how you feel as I have two really great friends who talk non-stop and never give me a chance to say anything as I am just not fast enough to get a word in! I made the mistake the other day by going shoping with them in one of the friend's cars and it was non stop jabbering for 6 hours. Sitting in the back of the car I realised that they sounded like 2 dogs barking at each other. When I got home I just wanted to relax and not see them for a while. I have to make sure I see them in small doses and maybe for an hour or two and on a one to one basis. I've noticed that these two friends are never at home, they don't work and are out all night and day and I am wondering if they are perhaps lonely at home or maybe they don't want time to think as that would make them miserable, but I like them as they are really good people who I reckon have not always had a good deal out of life.

Reply to Britty
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/12/18

People who continuously jabber also drive me crazy!!! They have often got themselves on such a high a pedestal. I wonder if they can remember what they jabbered about all night, or do they repeat the same info over and over to different individuals?

Reply to Hope*
Posted by: Dude | 2007/12/18

iz foun folks oo chat 2 much normally don give a shyte bout other perspectives otha than er own an en ey also rude bastards oo lack communication skills cause ey don allow 4 feedback an likesay feedback is essential to any communication else its more like ey lecturin an ats 4 the pigs wif wings that fornicate in june likesay iz hearin wot uz sayin an enjoy the chat

Reply to Dude