Question
Posted by: Fanny annie | 2003/12/10

Unplesant smell

At some ties during the month my boyfriend says I smell like "apples" down there, then sometimes there is no smell at all, However particularly around my period When we have intercourse I notice a slightly fishy smell. I have had this problem before (2 years ago) & I got cream from my doctor. Two months ago I noticed the problem again but the smell went away the very next day even though we continued to have intercourse every other day. Today however I have the same unpleasent smell again (after intercourse). We use condoms & have been in a commited relationship for over 5 years now & both got tested for any STDs & for AIDS prior to engaging in any sexual activities so it can't be an STD/AIDS. I was told it is a bacterial infection sort of like thrush & you need creams to clear it up- But why then does it come & go by itself with no help from creams? I was also told that any bacterial infections in the vagina can be "cured" by placeing a garlic clove inside the vagina for an hour, then taking it out & bathing-Does that really work? I know it sounds silly but it was in a natural therepy booklet & I was wondering if it was true!

Vaginal odours can change at different times of the month due to the different acidities of the vagina. If you have a discharge with it, this needs investigation. If not, it may just be normal. The fact that it comes and goes with no treatment would suggest this.
The easiest way to sort out whether you have an infection or not is to ask your doctor to take a swab and send it to the laboratory. If you do have an infection, I doubt that garlic would treat it.