Question
Posted by: c | 2004/11/15

Unpleasant experience

Dear Cybershrink
I’m still trying to understand what’s happening to me. I’ve arranged to see my shrink, but the appointment is still a couple of weeks away. I have really thought that I’m fine, but the feeling that there are things out there that want to harm me, doesn’t completelywant to go away . The things still seem so real. I had a similar experience a couple of months ago. I’m sure these unpleasant experience will eventually go away as it did before, but ’m worried that this might become a pattern when I experience severe stress. Is it possible?

Hello c,
Sometimes it is possible that one becomes more vulnerable to such experiences at times of high stress, which are already testing out one's defences and coping skills. Yes, the things SEEM real --- that's the essence of a hallucination / delusion --- voices heard, things seen, which appear absolutely genuine and real, but which nobody else can see or hear. And fortunately, you are skillfully staying on the critically important right side of the divide --- however real they seem, you are remaining aware that it SEEMS, AS IF, they're real, but they're not. Like in a movie, the hero seems to be doing something extraordinary, but it's faked and unreal, though appearing seamlessly real. I'm also sure this unpleasant experience will go away.
And explore with your shrink what can best be done about these gaps betweem appointments, and make a plan for how to cope if this sort of thing should happen to recur.

3
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/15

Pleasure. Just remember though that I do lock the door when I'm in the shower... c,")

Best to you,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: c | 2004/11/15

Hi Shaun
Don’t forget, we’re watching you.....

Reply to c
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/15

Hey C,

Glad to see you still hanging in there. Don't think it was wise for the shrink to make an appoinment so far away. Do you not think you can get an alternate appointment, or maybe an alternate shrink. As with all things, the quicke the better.
Although it may be ok to use your past experiences to remind you now & then, is it wise to worry about something you are not sure will really happen? But I do understand your concern about the issue at the moment.

Regards,
Shaun

PS: Just when you thought things got better, here I am still watching you...

Reply to Shaun