Posted by: Uncertain | 2007/05/23

Unpaid Leave

My husband has taken a work contract in Angola, and will be coming home 4 times a year for 2 weeks, I as by law have 15 working days leave a month, I would like to spend some quality time with my husband when he comes home but my leave will not last a whole year, what should I do to request and qualify for unpaid leave. I don't mind taking unpaid leave, but my question is how do I get my employer to grant me this and how can it effect my job should I get unpaid leave?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Dear Uncertain

Unpaid leave is not given as a right, but as a benefit. Obviously one would appeal to the better judgement of an employer in order to request some unpaid leave. It must be borne in mind that unpaid leave is not given as a right.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.