Question
Posted by: Marmite | 2008/07/23

Unmotivated Teenage Son

My 16 year old son is so unmotivated in life. Nothing seems to give him a spark -threats don' t work nor rewards. Some good advice would be great

Expert ImageTeen expert

Your description is very brief so it doesnt really give me much to go on here in terms of what may be happening. Is he unmotivated in all aspects of his life, or is it specific - e.g. school? Many young people go through stages of losing interest in previous hobbies, sports pasttimes etc as they develop and move into other things. Does socialising with friends seem to give him enjoyment for example?

The main query I have is whether your son may be depressed if he is losing interest in all aspects of his life?

If it continues I would suggest speaking with your family doctor - or perhaps post again on here with more details.