Question
Posted by: kaybee | 2004/11/09

uniqueness of man

I understand that human DNA can be arranged in an almost unlimited number of "patterns". Seeing that we only have 4 nirtogen bases the number of patterns should be limited (?). If this is the case, is it possible that there could some time in the past have been or might in future be someone with an identical or almost identical genetic sequence to mine? I know that I am probably over simplifying some of the concepts, but I was just wondering.

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Kaybee

For identity testing many different areas of the DNA is analysed and some of them will be the same and others will differ between individuals. Only identical twins have identical genetic profiles if you look at the entire genome, or if someone is cloned in future.

Regards, Maritha