Question
Posted by: Patrys | 2008/01/22

Unhappy & Feeling Fat

Dear Diet Dr.

I'm a mother of 2 and I'm almost 29 years old. I'm batteling to loose weight as I can't seem to get a proper eating plan. I have been on yo-yo diets for the past year and everytime I loose I gain even more. I feel ugly, fat, missrable and I hate myself for feeling this way and want to just give up. I'm 1.58 m and weight 80 kgs. I use to weight 55 kgs and I need to weight that again to feel good about myself again. How can I do it? Can I get a worked out eating plan that will help me without seeing a Dietitian? I also have a hectic lifestile and have almost no time for exersing and need to rely on a proper diet. Thank you.

Dear Patrys
Your present BMI = 28,2 which is in the overweight range. To get back into the normal range you would need to weigh 68 kg, thus a loss of 12 kg. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Make time to do regular exercise as this not only promotes weight loss but also motivates you to stick to your diet and makes you feel more positive because it produces endorphins (natural chemicals that lift your mood). So stop trying fad diets and get out of the yo-yo cycle and change your lifestyle.