Question
Posted by: Samson | 2008/06/04

Unhappy

I grew up very poor but went and studied and now am financially very well off. I believe that I need to buy something of value, and this will make me happy, but after I have done so the happiness doesn't last and I feel that I have to buy something else to make me happy, and the circle repeats itself.
What would you suggest I do - could it be depression and should I see a doctor or psychiatrist?

Lack of things you really need may add to one's unhappiness, but THINGS never ever bring happiness. You genuinely can't buy it. And you've noticed the cycle --- so many people adopt that self-defeating pattern, that if what they do doesn't work, instead of trying a different tactic, they do the same failing thing, but twice as hard or twice as often. Spend every cent on buying stuff, and you would never get happy from that.
Depression could be part of this, as also could be some bad habits of thought and assumption you formed when poor, such as the assumption that wealth and stuff would surely bring happiness.
I believe that Happiness is a by-product, like sawdust --- it arises in the course of doing worthwhile things and having worthwhile relationships, rather than just arriving, on its own, like the dawn !
Sop yes, seeing a shrink especially one doing CBT ( COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) could help you to make a big difference, and find happiness.

2
Posted by: Shazz | 2008/06/04

Methinks we need to meet up so you can spend all that money on me!!!

Seriously, I'm also a big spender and you do need to get to the root reason in you unconscious mind to find out why you're doing it and how to get over it.

Good luck.

Reply to Shazz
Posted by: Vicky | 2008/06/04

just remember Money Cant Buy Happiness, happiness must come from within.

Reply to Vicky