Question
Posted by: tayles | 2007/08/03

Ungrateful in-laws

Over the years we have helped my in-laws out financially and we even bought them a 2nd hand car 5 years ago. Now that the car is rusting away due to the fact that they have not looked after it by keeping it in the car my FiL now says it's a piece of S**t! And says next time, we must buy him a brand new car!! We are definitely not rolling in money. They keep on hinting that they want to come and live in our new home I couldn't last an hour with him. He has become so jealous and bitter about other family members who are successful. He is always looking fo a hand out and at 65 is lazy and does nothing to help himself. What do you do with people like this? I am ready to fire him!

Your FiL needs to be told, politely but firmly that you cannot afford to keep him in luxuries, and as he failed to properly look after the last car you bought for him as a gift, you certainly can't afford to replace it, let alone with an expensive new car for him to neglect. You help where you can, but he is not ENTITLED to expect this. And if other family members are so successful, why can't they share the expenses of this couple ?