Question
Posted by: williamthucker | 2005/12/02

unexplained weight loss - my metabolism just wont slow down!

I'm a 29 year old man and I have lost about a 3 kg even though I do not feel that anything is wrong with me. In fact, I feel healthy. I was on 70 kg and now i am on 67kg. What concerns me about this is the fact that all my friends (same age) from high school and varsity are gainig weight (upwards of 80kg) - they are all round and big while I am getting skinnier by the day. Some of these chaps were much more skinnier than I was a couple of years back and now it looks like it has all been reversed. How can I gain weight? why is my metabolism not showing any signs of slowing down?

thanks
williamthucker

Dear William,
Some things can make one lose weight, like diabetes or an overactive thyroid gland, without you necessarily feeling ill. Ask your GP to check it for you. If you are totally healthy then, you could try taking food supplements and going to the gym to build muscle mass.