Question
Posted by: Dee | 2008/07/23

Unexplained lactation

Hi Doc. I' m 25 and for the past year or so have had unexplained nipple discharge. My breasts have changed in no way other than leaking milk when you put pressure on them or my nipples are squeezed (so I have become very self-conscious with my hubby). I have never been pregnant, my prolactin levels were tested and found to be normal and since it started I tried a new b/c pill, the patch, and even went off hormonal b/c completely for a few months. I don' t take any other medications. Nothing makes it go away. Not even meds meant to dry up milk. What could be causing it and what can I do?

Hallo Dee
This is called galactorhoea and causes can be (usually benign) tumors of the pituitary gland,
Medicines such as hormones, antidepressants, blood pressure medicines and certain tranquilizers
Herbal supplements such as nettle, fennel, blessed thistle, anise and fenugreek seed
Drugs such as marijuana and opiates
Pregnancy
Clothing that irritates the breasts (like scratchy wool shirts or bras that don't fit well)
Doing very frequent breast self-exams (daily exams)
Stimulation of the breast during sexual activity
Kidney disease
Oral contraceptives
An underactive thyroid (also called hypothyroidism),

If all the causes have been excluded - try Lactosec 100mg per day?