Posted by: Robz | 2007/12/11


for the past 2 or so years ive been struggling with depression and a combination of bulimia and a disorderd way of eating ( its since stabilised for about 8 months and continuing), i am over the depression now and am coming off my medication. But, at the begining of all this i lost about 7kgs (from 69kg to 62/3kgs) i was and still am taking fluvoxamine(Luvox), but about 6months ago i stopped an anti phsycotic drug called Geodon, and then went onto the generic of Luvox which is Hexal- Fluvoxamine as its cheaper. but i continued to gain weight i am now at 82kg (height is 1.65m and im 21yrs) , my weight seems to be staying at 82/3kgs now but i dont understand it and my doctor cant explain it either, could you help me?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Robz
The problem with depression and antidepressants is that they can either cause pronounced weight gain or weight loss depending on the individual's reaction. Thus your fluctuating weight could be due to your depression or it could be due to the medication (and each antidepressant can have a different reaction too). If you are not being treated by a psychiatrist, then please do consult one so that he/she can figure out which antidepressant to prescribe for you which will not cause this weight gain. I would also recommend that you see a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because of your history of bulimia. The dietitian will work out a diet for you that helps with weight loss without starting your bulimia again. Also increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Exercise helps to combat depression by producing chemicals called endorphins that lift your mood.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.