Question
Posted by: Lee | 2006/04/07

Uneven skin tone

Please help. For the past year or so, I have developed dark spots on my face. I am a 32 yr old f/male. I have researched this on the internet and it would seem it's called melasma.
Besides going to see a dermatologist, which I cannot afford, what other remedies can you offer? I have been using a facewash and cream (daily, twice a day) containing AHA and been doing my best to avoid the sun. I feel like a hermit!! Nobody else in my family suffers from this. What can I do. Thanking you.

Hi Lee
Be very careful to treat these spots yourself - a lot of the over the counter medication can actually make it worse!
Current treatment consists of the triad of sun blocks, bleach, and time. Sunscreens should be opaque, broad-spectrum formulations with an SPF of at least 30. Bleaching preparations include 2% or 4% hydroquinone-containing creams or gels. Combination products containing sunscreens and hydroquinone can be applied once daily. Simultaneous use of topical tretinoin gel (0.025%) is usually required as well. Also available now are combination corticosteroid/hydroquinone/tretinoin creams, which are very effective and well tolerated by patients for short periods of time (ie, 8 weeks). Another option is glycolic acid peels. This is one skin problem where you actually should invest in a dermatologist consultation.