Question
Posted by: No feeling | 2004/10/05

Unemotional most of the time

I suspect that I am depressed. What are the most general signs to look out for? I feel detached from a lot of situations - even from my husband. I look at him and I feel no physical passion. When we are busy making love, it's only physical. I need that emotional bond between us, but it's not there. It's like I switch off certain times. I'm fighting with myself spiritually as well. It's like theres this something in my head blocking emotion. Please advise

Check out other sections in our Health24 site, as there are full descriptions of Depression and its symptoms available to you, here. What you are describing mighyt be depression, if it represents a change in you, if you used to be different from this. If this is how you have always felt and reacted, then it may well not be depressiopn. Seing a counsellor to talk through your feelings and behaviours is most likely to help, and also to clarify the exact nature of the problem you are experiencing at this time.

3
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/05

Thanx for your response. I can relate to what you are saying very well. Don't despair, there is help for you yet. As long as we're looking, there is always help available.
You feel like you're nowhere near your full potential, like there must be more to life, & things don't seem to hold your attention for very long... kinda like you been there, done that. Am I right?
If after reading the sections on depression on this site you are able to relate & get more clarity on your feelings, then I would strongly suggest that you take the next step & seek out a shrink that has a good track record. Do your research & choose the one you feel most comfortable with. & when you get to your session, let everything out, be open, be honest, explain your needs. I feel certain that you would be able to get a good diagnosis from the correct person, but you must take action.
Don't feel that any less about yourself seeking the assistance of a shrink, just know that you are taking the appropriate steps to find a way forward/through so you can get closer to your expectations.
Oh, btw, I always say, don't harbour expectations, as they have the tendency to bring disappoointment, rather have some hopes that you will & can make a difference.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: No Feeling | 2004/10/05

No, I work full time. I dont get fulfillment out of this job. To me it's just something I do. I have no ambition - or maybe I do but it's like something is holding me back. I am currently doing an A+ course, which I asked the company to let me do, but I'm not driven. There is just so many things in life I want to achieve and do but it's like I cant put in the effort. I give up too easily. Most times I feel like the 3rd person looking in on my life. I'm here in body but my mind is always somewhere else.

Reply to No Feeling
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/05

Hi NF,

Are you a home-executive? What do you do to keep yourself occupied? What do you do that brings you joy?
Also, if you go to the top of this forum & click on the "mind" section, you will find a range of topics that tell you about symptoms & treatment options.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun