Question
Posted by: g | 2007/03/15

undiagnosed anaemia

hey there doc

My father was recently diagnosed with anaemia but doctors don't know the cause. A colonoscopy and gastroscopy was done but everything was normal except for a bacterial infection in his stomach. All of his blood tests including a bone marrow sample came back normal. His diet includes enough iron. I read somewhere that some bacteria prduces siderophores that 'steals' transferrin bound iron. Could my father's bacterial infection in his stomach be responsible for his anaemia?

Dear G
Yes his stomach problem could cause him not to absorb his Vit B's - you need Vit B12 and Vit B 6 to be able to use Iron constructively. Certain drugs and taking in too much zinc can also cause blood cell abnormalities.
See http://www.sahealthinfo.org/nutrition/vitaminminerals/vitamins/vitaminB12.htm