Question
Posted by: Sam | 2004/11/12

Undetected Viraload

What does this really mean. You are HIV + more than a year and CD count is above 500 but your viral load is undetected.

Please explain it in simple terms - no too much Medical jargon please.

Expert ImageHIV Peer Forum

It means that your own immunesystem is strong enough to clear the virus from your bloodstream on its own.

3
Posted by: Inc | 2004/11/15

An undetectable viral load basically means that should you take another HIV test, you will test negative. This does not mean that you are no longer HIV+. Are you on medication? If you are on ARV's, then the meds will lower your Viral Load. This is the scary thing about HIV... when you have it, you can take meds and depending on how your immune system reacts to them... you can test negative... and before anyone jumps the gun, I'm not Sello! This is a fact. I have met an HIV+ person... who was diagnosed in 1989... almost 15 years ago... she has recently started ARV's and her viral load is undetectable... she applied for a life insurance policy and she tested negative when she went for her HIV blood test.

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Loulou | 2004/11/15

Undetectable means that the viral load is below the lower detection limit of the assay being used. The first generation assays, undetectable meant < 500 copies of virus/ml. In the new ultrasensitive viral load assays, undetectable means < 50 copies/ml. This does not mean 0. Although a few labs have created ultra, ultra sensitive assays ( down to 1 theoretical copy/ml) and in some patients cannot detect any virus in the plasma. Even with undetectable plasma viral load, the virus still exists inside cells, either in the blood, lymph nodes or semen.

Reply to Loulou
Posted by: De Bruyn | 2004/11/13

I'd also like to know the answer to this one.

Reply to De Bruyn