Posted by: Katie | 2008/12/09

Underweight toddler

My little girl of 20 months old is very underweight at 9.5 kilos. She has a very bad appetite and I am constantly throwing food away. Is there anything I can give her to open up her appetite.
She still does breast feed but not much, and I dont think that she is getting anything from my milk, OR is she???
Does the breast milk at this stage still have all the vitamins she needs?
I have tried other milks , but she wont drink them .

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Katie
If you lassie is very underweight and has a poor appetite then she may lack one or more vital nutrients such as iron or B complex vitamins. I would suggest that you have her health assessed by a Paediatrician. If she is deficient in vitamins or minerals, the dr will prescribe a paediatric vitamin and mineral supplement. It is also important to encourage her to eat always keeping in mind that small children have small stomachs and cannot eat large quantities of food at any one meal. They need to eat small quantities of a variety of foods often spaced through the day. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Toddlers' to see what and how much your child should be eating. I agree that it is probably now time to wean her off the breast. You will have to persevere and repeatedly offer her small quantities of formula in a cup until she accepts this alternative. You can also try Infantrini which is an excellent product that can be used to simulate so-called "catch-up growth" in babies that are struggling to thrive. Infantrini is distributed by a company called Pharmaplan. I have personally spoken to Lynette Botes, the Manager who is responsible for its distribution. You can contact her at: (011) 652-0900 or send her an e-mail at: to obtain more information about Infantrini and also order this product.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.