Question
Posted by: Lish | 2007/06/12

Underweight baby?

Hi doc,

Went to my midwife for 33 week check-up. All my vitals are fine. She said baby is around 1.7kg- just below average. Is this true?
Im having my induction at 38 weeks. Approximately what would the babies weight be then?

At 34 weeks pregnant your baby should weigh ~ 2000 grams. This holds true if you are exactly 34 weeks by sure last period dates or early USS for dating your pregnancy VERY accurately. So if you are ACCURATELY 33 weeks you should be ~1.8 Kg + or - 100 grams. If your midwife suspects that there is poor growth she should send you for USS to do your baby's growth parameters.
The baby's weight by 38 weeks is determined by the 'genetic makeup' of the baby, maternal influences on fetus and placental function. There is a wide "normal" range for weights.