Question
Posted by: Charldene | 2011/03/08

Underweight

I am a 27 year old woman, i am about 1.5m tall and weight anything between 39kg and 42kgs, I have got three kids my youngest on beingt 19months old. I have got problems gaining weight (i look anorxic) i went to a diatician in september and was informed that I am about 20kgs underweight, i was given a diet to follow which i have an test were done on me, it turned out that i have a very low iron deficincy and was put on chronic iron medication, and yet i am still not gaining weight. what else could be wrong (my thyroid was also tested and this too was fine)

Dear Charldene
If you weigh 42 kg and are 1.5 m tall (is this height correct?), then your present BMI = 18,7 which is very low and in the underweight range. To have an ideal BMI of 22, you would need to weigh 50 kg (which would mean an increase of 10 kg). Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

1

Dear Charldene