Question
Posted by: jen | 2005/11/22

Underweight

I'm 21 height is 1.64 and I weight 45kg. My doctor adviced me put on more weight and I've been struggling to put on weight. Please help.

Dear Jen
Your present BMI = 16,7 which is far below the lowest normal value of 18. I agree with the dr that you should try and gain some weight. If you could increase your weight to 51 kg then you would at least have a normal BMI of 19. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. I have also consulted with a representative of Fresenius Kabi, a company that have a supplement called Fresubin (with or without fibre) that can assist with this problem. Phone them on (011) 203-2000 or 083-603-2231 and ask about this and other Nutritional Supplements. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals.

2
Posted by: dbit | 2005/11/23

Yes, ensure or even Ensure Plus, a few times a day in between normal meals will help.

Reply to dbit
Posted by: Shamma | 2005/11/22

I have been sick lately and have lost a lot of weight, does ENSURE the nutritional drink actually helps to put on weight?

Reply to Shamma