Question
Posted by: Mom | 2006/11/02

Underdeveloped Genitals And Gynaecomasti

My son is 17, he was quite overweight until last year and as a baby and child he had a very small penis, sometimes almost the whole shaft went into his body, be also had quite a lot of breast tissue. A paediatrician checked him at age 12 or 13 and said his penis shoulkd develop by 16. He has asked me to take him to a doctor as he feels his penis is not normal, as his mom I have not had a proper look at it so I cant say if there is a problem or if it is psycological. He still has "breasts: but has lost a lot of weight, what type of doctor can I take him to as he does not want to go to our GP and he is too old to go back to the paediatrician, please help

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

with regards to concerns about penis size seeing a urologist would be of benefit. From there they could advise further about specialist treatment for the gynaecomasti. It may at first be worth asking to speak to the urologist to check if they are the right person rather than your son having to go from one doctor to another.