Question
Posted by: clowe | 2008/01/16

underactive thyroid, what diet can I use

I have an underactive thyroid which is making me gain weight, I retain water also and feel bloated all the time...I am on euthyrox 1/2 25 gram in the morning.. it been 6 months now and I just cant seen to loose weight, I can pick up 2 kg's overnight. Can you give me some advice or a special diet that will help me.

thank you

Dear Clowe
I would recommend that you discuss your thyroid hormone supplementation with the prescribing dr because the dose may have to be adjusted. Also ask the dr about the use of a mild diuretic to alleviate the water retention. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

2
Posted by: nicky | 2009/04/14

I' ve been gaining excess weight and found out recently that I have an underactive thyroid. I need help on what I can do to lose this weight. I know that my eating habits have to change. I go to the gymn when I can because I work 12hr shifts. Can you send me a eating plan to help please.The excess weght is so depressing and it' s getting me down. I cry everyday because I don' t feel attractive anymore.

Reply to nicky
Posted by: Judica | 2008/10/23

Good day,

I have an underactive thyroid and taking eltroxin for it currently. My weight gain in the last couple of months have been rather extreme and hair loss is out of control.

Please advise on any other cures.

Judica

Reply to Judica