Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2004/02/20

Underactive thyroid now Overactive?

I have had an underactive thyroid for about 5 years and have always been on a fairly high dose of Eltroxin (3 mg). My thyroid was checked in November and the test indicated that I needed a higher dose. The doctor was reluctant to up it and suggested I see a Physician. I had the blood test again last week and this test indicates that my thyroid is now 35% overactive. What could possibly cause that?

Concerned, it sounds like you were just given too much thyroid hormone. The best would be to lower the dosage and have the test repeated in a month’s time. Good luck.