Question
Posted by: Thyroid | 2004/02/27

Underactive thyroid caused high BMI

I am a 30 old female with a BMI of 43%. Diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid in 2001 and after medical help now have an underactive thyroid. Gained 25kg over the 3 years. How can I loose this weight with my condition as well as get my BMI down. I have no other medical conditions such as high cholesterol, diabetes.

Dear Reader
I trust that you are receiving thyroid hormone replacement therapy in the form of Eltroxin? If not, then please discuss this with your dr. Have you been tested for insulin resistance? if not, then also ask the dr to check this for you. To lose weight, you need to eat a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy), and combine it with regular exercise (brisk walking, running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming - anything to get active for 30 minutes a day), which will also stimulate your metabolism. However, because you have so much weight to lose, it may also be a good idea to discuss the use of Xenical with your dr. Xenical is used together with a very-low-fat diet and will assist you to start losing weight. It is a very expensive medication so it would help if your dr can motivate for you to obtain it via your medical aid. He/she should be able to motivate for this medication as your high BMI endangers your health.