Question
Posted by: Linda Brand | 2004/10/11

underactive thyroid

I have picked up 10kg over the past 6 months. My doctor has just informed me that I have an underactive thyroid. I'm also on HRT. I had blood tests done. I'm 50 years old. I'm due to start thyroid medication. Can you help me to lose my excess weight and give me tips on how to keep it off!

Dear Linda
The thyroid hormone replacement such as Eltroxin will help with the weight loss. To lose weight need to reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).