Posted by: Linda Brand | 2004/10/11

underactive thyroid

I have picked up 10kg over the past 6 months. My doctor has just informed me that I have an underactive thyroid. I'm also on HRT. I had blood tests done. I'm 50 years old. I'm due to start thyroid medication. Can you help me to lose my excess weight and give me tips on how to keep it off!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Linda
The thyroid hormone replacement such as Eltroxin will help with the weight loss. To lose weight need to reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.